6.02.2013

Book Reviews

We have read a lot of good books recently & I wanted to share them with you.

Our small group went through The Hole in Our Holiness by Kevin DeYoung and it was wonderful. It was about obedience as Christians and what that looks like, but not just what it looks like on the outside but what it looks like on the "inside". Obedience to Christ is more than just doing all the right things, it's having a heart after God's own heart that lends to true obedience. It was so challenging and encouraging. I highly recommend this book!



Our small group is now going through Sally Lloyd-Jones' Jesus Storybook Bible. This is an absolutely wonderful book. It is a children's storybook Bible with beautiful illustrations by Jago. What I love most about this book is how she weaves the gospel into every Bible story. We are currently reading the Old Testament "classics" and Lloyd-Jones does an excellent job of always reminding us how this story points to Jesus & what he would do for us on the cross. It's great to read the stories with Anderson and it's been so beneficial to study them in depth with our small group.



The next book on the list is on parenting. Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. This book was recommended to me by our small group leaders as well as my aunt, Joy. It has been so enlightening for me to read & to be reminded that the ultimate goal in parenting is to point our children to Christ so that they can "glorify God and enjoy him forever"*. What an overwhelming yet humbling and amazing task! There's so much responsibility yet so much grace in parenting. Tripp does a great job of laying a Biblical foundation for roles/goals/ideas in parenting in the first part of his book. He also provides lots of scripture to "back up" his ideas. The second part of his book is the practical application of it all. He answers the questions of "When do I begin spanking?" "What age/stage does discipline begin?" and so forth. I really enjoyed his straightforward style.



On my "To Read" list are:

Managers of Their Homes by Steve & Teri Maxwell
Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

If you're interested in other books, articles or blog posts that I've enjoyed take a look at my "Words" pinterest board! I hope you will find something helpful or relevant there as well.

I'm currently on the hunt for a good fiction book. I don't want it to be too heavy in theme but I also want it to hold my attention (which is always being pulled in multiple directions with a toddler!). So, what do you suggest?

*Question 1 from the Westminster Shorter Catechism

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete