8.13.2013

Favorite Christian Resources

I'm always on the hunt for excellent resources for our family. I love a good book, good list or FREE resource of any kind. And while I know there are lots of good blog posts/articles/lists on the web I mostly love to get recommendations from people I know personally. I am going to share my favorite resources with you & ask that you share your favorite resources with me! 



BOOKS

There are a million wonderful books out there. I am overwhelmed with all of the books that I want to read! Here are some of my favorites that I have already read & wish everyone would read!

What are your favorite Christian books?

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp -- great for learning the how & why of discipline!

 Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones and Jago -- great to read with children!
 
The Duggars: 20 and Counting! by Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar -- practical & entertaining!

For Instruction in Righteousness by Pam Forster -- recommended to me by my Aunt Joy. We use this with the Character Qualities chart located in the "Miscellaneous" category at the bottom of this post. Also great reference for quiet times!

AUDIO BOOKS

I have to admit that I've always struggled with audio books. I've always wanted to enjoy them but have just never stuck with one long enough. These audio books from YWAM Publishing are excellent & changed my previous relationship {or lack thereof} with audio books. Not only are these 2 excellent stories that I wish everyone could here but they are read in a captivating way. I can't recommend these enough!

Do you like audio books? Which ones do you listen to?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: In the Midst of Wickedness

George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans

MUSIC 

I really struggle with finding Christian music that I enjoy. It's either soft/soothing/lullaby-ish or the theology is just off. These 3 CD's are wonderful but I'm always looking for new music to change it up a bit. 

What do you enjoy listening to?

Keith and Kristyn Getty

Sing Over Me: Worship Songs & Lullabies

Glory Revealed II

BLOGS 

I love blogs. They're everything I love about books except their free, there's something new to look forward to every day & they're just little snippets. I don't always have time to read a book but I can usually always find time to read a few blog posts every day!

What are your favorite blogs? 

A Holy Experience

Raising Real Men

Seasons

You Sacred Calling 

The Gospel Coalition 

PASTORS

I really enjoy listening to sermons. I primarily listen to them during Anderson's nap time, whenever I happen to work out or just when we're sitting outside playing. These 3 are my favorite men to listen to. In fact, Harry Reeder is our pastor. I really enjoy re-listening to his sermons. John Piper has an excellent blog/website/app Desiring God. I love that you can look up his sermons according to topic, date or passage of Scripture. 

Who are pastors that you have really learned from?

Harry Reeder

John Piper

Tim Keller

MISCELLANEOUS

These are some other resources that we use/enjoy/have found useful! 

Any other resources you know of that we might enjoy? 

WLJR  Radio

Donna Young

Character Qualities chart

3 comments:

  1. Hey I have some suggestions for you! I go to RedStone church in Homewood. It's a non denominational church and was started by Northpoint Ministries out of Atlanta. It has a a great message every week. You can list or watch the sermons. Here's a link to the site: http://www.redstonechurch.org/media/messages-2013/message-archive/

    Books: I have been blessed with friends who love to give me books. Some of my favorite are Crazy Love by Francis Chan, Multiply by Francis Chan, Radical by David Platt, Follow Me by David Platt, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, and Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. Now I haven't read all of them all the way through, but they were recommended to me by my friends.

    Lastly Music! For the past year and a half that I have become a Christian I have listened to only Praise and Worship music on Pandora and have found some lovely artists. However, I heard from another friend about this website: www.comeandlive.com . This site is great because you can listen to the Christian Bands prior to downloading anything. You have the option to pay, download for free, or simply share on social media. I have downloaded some pretty amazing music from harder rock to lovely Hymns. In one day I think I downloaded 7 different albums and immediately put them on my Iphone so I could listen to them in my car. I love Praise and Worship but sometimes it's nice to listen to original music. I hope this helps! -Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all of this great info, MB! I am reading Radical right now & really enjoying it!

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea to listen to sermons during nap or when we're just hanging out. I never thought about doing that! TGC is one of my favorite Christian blogs, too, and one of the only ones I know is consistently theologically right on target. (I'm sure there are lots out there, but that one just stands out to me, 'cause every time I read it, I'm like, YES! THAT'S IT!)

    And yeah, I have trouble with Christian music, too.

    ReplyDelete