3.11.2015

February

This month we are rowing:

These supplemental books are all from our own book collection:


{This one is a favorite. I mean, Curious George & flaps...what Toddle wouldn't love it?}

These are some books we found at the library. I decided to get some poetry books this month instead of trying to do a chapter book.


{This has definitely been his favorite poetry book}

{This is not a book of poetry but an early reader book. So basically, it's super annoying because it's a lot of simple words being repeated but he likes it. It's about a little boy & a dragon & all sorts of red things & since red is Anderson's favorite colors he's deemed it a favorite.}

One of his favorite activities that we've done is Bunny Hopping! I put down some tape for "rabbit trails" & he had to hop along on them. This is a fabulous indoor winter activity that really helps get out some energy but also could be fun outside with some sidewalk chalk.



He does not recognize letters yet so I've been trying to get creative in helping him learn them. We have tracing lap boards but those do not hold his attention for long. The boy is definitely a kinesthetic learner! But I imagine most preschoolers are. He either wants to be moving or playing with play doh or painting. I'm planning to order some letter cutters to use with play doh soon.

One morning I decided to put various pairs of letters along the bunny trails. I redid the trails to make them really long. Whenever we came to a set of cards I would ask him, "Which one is 'C'?" & he would choose. If he got it correct he got to pick up the card. After collecting all the cards (I just laid out 5 or 6 pairs) & hopping along the trail there was a surprise at the end, sweettarts! He immediately wanted to play again but after there was no more candy the 2nd time he was over it. I figured it was good practice while it lasted.



I was going to buy the classic magnetic fishing game as well this month. I knew he would love it & it would be a great activity but at the end of last year I found a Mindware fishing game on sale at Target. I snatched it up since we love Mindware toys. Unfortunately, this game isn't that fun. I'll definitely have to order the classic fishing game that I remember. I loved playing it when we'd visit my grandparents in Huntsville! 

We also did heart & cupcake gel window clings. We memorized 1 John 4:11. Attended our library's V'day-themed tot time. Made & received lots of valentine cards. Had a special Valentine's dinner and shared lots of kisses and hugs. 


This is my favorite craft that we did related to The Runaway Bunny:


So, 2 questions for you: 

1. What are some fun ideas you have to teach a kinesthetic learner? Or what are some go-to resources for ideas based on learning styles?

2. What is/are your favorite book(s) of poetry for young children?



1 comment:

  1. Love this post! It's fun and interesting seeing the creative learning activities y'all do. :) Also, that dinner looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete